Thursday, April 21, 2011

Goodbye to Romance




The first song that I would like to throw in this box and my gift to Abu Dabi ,was released in November 2000 and It reached No. 1 in 15 countries.  Sounds awesome right? WRONG!!! 
CRAZYTOWN gave birth to this demon child known simply as "Butterfly". Penned by SHIFTY SHELL SHOCK, how could this song not be awesome?
 Thanks ICP guy for making the best face ever by the way.

The elements that make this song bad are the fact that it was over played until the summer of 2001, the lyrics,  the music video and that this was meant to be a love song all are the equivalent of a bad burrito after a night of heavy drinking. 
Everywhere I turned this was being blasted through my ear drums, the roller skating rink (a usual Friday night hang out), friends houses, most radio stations, the dull hum of the “Pretty Little Ditty” sample coming from multiple headphones on the bus. I admit, I myself had the CD, and listened to this song, for a month,  but after that month I was torn between hiding it in my CD book’s rear section or breaking it in half and mailing it back to CRAZYTOWN demanding a refund. Eventually I made the right choice.
 This horrible little ditty included such enchanting lyrics as
Girls, me and you like Sid and Nancy/So sexy... almost evil/Talkin' about butterflies in my head
What? Why! Really?  

Lets examine a moment.  So you want to get high and then stab her in a New York hotel and not remember it? Am I getting that right?  Is this because she is sexy/ evil??? What the fuck is with the butterflies then? Is this girl possessed? Is this why he wants to go all Sid and Nancy?



Look at dis guy!

Here is a formula for a crappy video start with a bunch or tattooed pierced mofos, in what looks like an early draft of Avatar’s Pandora,  pierced and fuggs, someone has a dare shirt, then there is girls, with Hot topic wings on, and the most bizarre eyelashes I guess meant to look like cartoon butterflies.  But wait the best part can be found at about 1:22, because the guy’s fucking lame star tattoo’s fly off his shoulder and turn into stars in the sky.  Yes, real stars.  Why? Just fucking because, the band members are dancing, and beckoning the butterflies to “come and dance with me

This crap sandwich of a song was proposed to me as an “our song” situation, and as this lover of awesomely 80’s rock love ballads, musicals, bonjovi and essentially every love song from 1941- at that point 2000, choked down the bile and accepted this deal breaking abomination of a song, the song meant to make me smitten and swoon when I thought about it, well that relationship ended but my disdain for this song never quite went away. I would rather have needles jammed under my finger nails that listen to another moment of this song.  Enjoy Abudabi!
-Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment