Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A little bit of History...

As the original creator of the idea of throwing songs in a box, I must take a second to look at the original cargo that was sent to Abu Dhabi.



Aww look, it's Nemal. Self proclaimed "World's Cutest Kitty." But let not kid ourselves, we live in a world of icanhascheezburger, and those cutesy Animal Planet shows. For crying out loud, we have KEYBOARD CAT!

I can't play keyboard that well.

Never the less, we still have Nermal, the overly irritating antagonist of Garfield. She can't help herself honestly - I guess she was just as Lady Gaga would say "Born This Way," if born that way means mind numbingly annoying. So searching and not finding any other alternative, our lasagna loving feline had no other choice but to send out (exclusively on UPS Ground) Nermal to a world in turmoil, The United Arab Emirates. Now don't get me wrong, Abu Dhabi is one of the most beautiful places in the world, so why not put the "World's Cutest Kitty" in a city just as pretty as her. I think that only makes sense.





I'm getting off track. The song I would throw in the box is "Down With The Sickness."

Oh 2000, I remember you well. I was in 9th grade and playing high school football. And we were in quite a rut of bad music. And during the height of it, when it looked like we had seen the worst, Disturbed comes out with the sports anthem based on the lead singer clearing his throat.

Let's remember during this time, we were surrounded by great sports anthems like "Break Stuff" and "Last Resort," songs that would undoubtedly be played in lower level MMA events and YMCA Basketball tournaments until the end of time.  And in like a phoenix comes the title track off of Disturbed's debut album, and quicker than you can say "wah ah ah ah" this song becomes the theme for every bro in the weight room with the tribal tattoo.

As someone who enjoys going to hockey games and other assorted sports events, I can only ask that we replace "Down With The Sickness" with anything else on the face of the earth. The Morman Tabernacle Choir, The Mama's and The Papa's, Billy Ocean and countless others I can't think of right now. And hopefully with this gone, the fans of Disturbed can "Deal with these changes."

So get up and get down with sickness, one last time, because I am throwing it in the box.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment