Monday, May 2, 2011

Not the shipping destination they were intending...

So, I have been a fan of the Dropkick Murphys for over ten years now. I first heard them when the DJ who was on before me at King's would play Barroom Hero to end his show every week, and I did my best to track down every song and album I possibly could afterwards. I even went on two separate occasions to see them for St. Patrick's Day weekend in their hometown of Boston.

That said, there's no way that I can justify admitting that this song is a part of their catalog.


The song is a little gimmicky, and that generally doesn't bother me, so that's not the main problem here.  The problem is really what this song made the band become.  Thanks to The Departed, "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" became the theme for every brosnake that decided they were suddenly punk rockers, and therefore had to throw their weight around in the pit when they heard the only DKM song they knew.

That alone has made this song absolutely unbearable.  I mean, I don't condone wearing the "punk rock uniform," but you kinda stick out like a sore thumb in the pit if you have a Miller Lite in your hand and a pink polo shirt with the collar popped.

The content doesn't help.  I mean, what pirate loses their leg and goes to Boston to find it?  It's not even mentioned anywhere that that's where the pirate lost his leg to begin with!  If the band can't remember where the leg was lost to report about it in the song, then this can't be a very competent pirate.  I can't imagine this pirate is good at  robbing ships or training a parrot or other important pirate things.

What's worse than that is that the song is played everywhere, even in places where it's not fitting.  For example, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were coming out onto the ice to the song for the first period of some home games this season, and I have to question why.  I mean, if these guys get called up, they're actually shipping off to Pittsburgh, which is a FAR cry from Boston.

Ironically enough, Pittsburgh actually does have pirates. Maybe the song is a better fit for the Pens.



I can understand the song getting played at Providence Bruins games, or maybe Pawtucket Red Sox games...but when the Golden State Warriors come out to the court to the song, I'd be willing to say the trend is getting a little carried away.

Also, the band is expected to use the song for every promotional piece they do, even if they have a song that fits the situation better.  Why did they play the song at the Winter Classic in 2010 when they have a song about the Bruins that would have worked a lot better?  They have SEVEN OTHER ALBUMS!  Let them show it off a little!

Congratulations, Dropkick Murphys.  You officially have a song that's shipping up to Abu Dhabi.  I hope it finds its peg leg when it gets there.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment