Sunday, February 12, 2012

This may not be a shocker.

Gwen Stefani can only write good lyrics when she is heartbroken. In today's post, I am going to send off 3 Gwen Stefani written songs, both for No Doubt and her solo career, from times in her life where it seems everything was just... okay.

First, we have 6 Feet Under. This song is just... morbid. I hope I never feel this way on my birthday. With lyrics like "Today is my birthday, and I get one every year. And someday...hard to believe, but I'll be buried six feet underground" set to an upbeat melody, something doesn't seem right to me.
Happy Birthday! I'm going to die someday!
I don't have much recollection of this story, but I've been told that as a little kid, I used to cry the night before my birthday, saying ridiculous things like "I don't wanna turn 5! I don't wanna get old and die!" So basically, Gwen Stefani has the reasoning of my toddler-self.

We move on to a song off the same album, Return of Saturn, that makes me not be able to listen to the album straight through. This song is called Staring Problem, and if the word "staring" were ever the last word in a spelling bee she entered, Gwen would take home the gold. Or whatever you win at a spelling bee.



S-T-A-R-I-N-G. I can't stop staring! Take a photo, it will last longer.

And finally, the very obvious Hollaback Girl. At this point in her career, not only has Gwen gotten over her devastating break up with Tony, but she is now completely content in her marriage and the beginnings of her new family. Nobody knows what a Hollaback Girl is. Or why she's singing about what seems to be life in high school. This seems to be the general consensus though.
 

These songs are being shipped off. And if Gwen Stefani is ever single again, she's going with them. Someone try to remember air holes in the box.

-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment